Introduction of myself

 Dear Professor Brad,


I hope you are having a good day! My name is Zahier and I am writing this letter to introduce myself. I am one of your students taking critical thinking and communicating module. I am currently taking mechanical engineering in SIT. I studied and graduated with a diploma in electrical and electronics engineering at Singapore Polytechnic. The change in field was a personal decision as I wanted to branch out on my engineering expertise and I wanted to pursue something different and new. However, I still wanted to be in a familiar industry as different engineering fields are related to some degree. Hence, I decided to take mechanical engineering. My interest in the engineering field is to explore the different career aspects in engineering to find a career that fits me best.

I feel very fortunate to be able to study a communication module as I feel that my communication requires improvement. I believe my strength in communication is empathy. When I was in my national service, I had the privilege to serve as a national service inspector in the police force. With this role, came with responsibilities such as ensuring the welfare of the men under my leadership. Leadership was a new journey in my life and my experience has made me realize that communication was the key into my successful relationship between me and my men. Personally, my success in the relationship between my men and I was due to being able to relate and see their point of view. I was able to rationalize their thoughts and understand their situations. These has led to a common respect between both parties.

However, as I am new to leadership, comes with lack of experience. There were certain moments where I was unable to adapt my communication to different audiences. In my experience, I was unable to be stern in my communication which has cause some to take advantage of my leniency.  I realise that I have to learn to read situations and individuals better to know the best approach of communication. It was a painful but a very valuable lesson.

My goal by the end of this module is to work on my weaknesses and build on my strengths. As mentioned, I hope to be able to learn to adapt better and further improve my communication skills through the different frameworks. They have helped break down the essence of effective communication and I hope to be able to apply these into my life. I believe it would really benefit me not just in my career, but also in my personal life.

I think communication is so important in many aspects of life. It has led to good friendships and relationships with family and friends. Although this module may be more focused on the benefits of communication in a professional setting, I believe there is a lot to learn that can be applied in my own personal life. I always try to look things on the bright side and understand different perspective before making judgements. That is what I learned when I was growing up and it stuck by me through all these years. Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Zahier Afiq 

Edited 19/9/22

Read:

Wai Kit

Kaisan



Comments

  1. Hello Zahier! I feel that your letter is clear and well written. You have cover all the requirement of the assignment. Good example is given. I personally feel that the letter is a bit too lengthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wai Kit for the feedback. Really appreciate your insights.

      Delete
  2. Dear Zahier,

    Thank you for this clear and fully substantiated letter. I appreciate the fairly well focused content being aligned with the assignment brief, the generally effective organization and the mostly effective language use. You've done a good job providing detailed supports for each specific topic area, allowing us readers to gain a better understanding of who you are.

    I really appreciate your sharing on your communication skills and the goals you have to improve those. From the discussion of your experience in the police force (as well as your demeanour in class), it's easy to see that you have great potential for further developing leadership skills in our module. I invite you to do that. It's also clear that you wat to polish skills related to interpersonal comm, which we address mainly implicitly in this module. In terms of those issues and other challenges, it's clear you are motivated to work hard, so participating seriously in the classroom activities suc as the project meetings will allow you to do that.

    As further developing your writing skills is undoubtedly one of your goals as well, please allow me to point out a couple language issues:

    1. Verb use
    -- ...as there are room for improvements.... > (subject-verb disagreement)
    2. Pronoun referent
    -- These came... > (What does 'these' refer to?)
    3. Phrasing
    -- that communication was very key > that communication was the key
    -- ...as I am new to leadership, comes with lack of experience. > (subject?)

    I look forward to following your development this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you prof Brad for the feedback and I will definitely look into the language issues and work on it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts